Japan Tourist Visa from India: Step-by-step Process
Step by Step procedure for obtaining a "Temporary Visitor Visa for Sight Seeing without Guarantor"
- Visa Fee: Rs. 490
- VFS Charges: Rs 650
- Courier Charges: Rs. 300
- Total Expenses: Rs. 1,440
Validity: 90 days from date of issue
Permitted stay: 15 Days from date of Entry
- Return Ticket
- Photocopy of Passport
- Filled in Visa Form
- Covering Letter
- Day-Wise Itinerary
- Hotel Booking
- Bank Statement with Seal
- Income Tax Return
- Certificate of Employment and Leave Letter
- Salary Slip
Step 1: Documents required for Japan Tourist Visa
1) Original Passport: Should have minimum 6 months validity from travel date, and atleast 2 Blank Pages. Submit old passports also, if any.
2) Photocopy of the first and last pages of the Passport.
3) Passport size photo (size 2 x 2 inches) on white background, taken in the past 6 months.
4) Copy of to and fro flight tickets (including return ticket to India). You can obtain a temporary one through a travel agent and then confirm it once you get the visa approved.
5) Copy of Hotel Booking: Printout of bookings made on online portal (makemytrip, agoda etc.) will suffice.
6) Complete day-wise itinerary including places and name of attractions planned to visit.
7) Original Bank Statement for the past 6 months with the seal of the bank. The account should have a balance of about 1 to 1.5 Lacs.
8) Copy of salary statement/ payslip for the past 6 months.
9) Covering letter from the applicant stating the purpose of the visit and details of the stay.
10) Copy of Income Tax Returns (Form 16) for the past 3 years.
11) Certificate of Employment and Leave Sanction letter from employer.
12) Completely filled visa form. Here is the link to the visa form.
Step 2: Submission Procedure
1) The Japanese Visas in India are processed by VFS. VFS drop off centers for Japanese visa are located at Hyderabad, Pondicherry, Cochin, Trivandrum.
2) If you are located in one of these cities, you can just walk in and drop off the application. No appointment is required.
3) If it is not convenient for you to drop it yourself (e.g. due to location constraints), you may have to rely on an agent to submit on your behalf.
Step 3: Expenses
1) The Visa Expenses are 3 part:
a) Visa Fee : Rs. 490
b) Courier Charges : Rs 300
c) VFS Service Charges : Rs. 650
d) Total Expenses : Rs 1,440
2) The fees need to be paid via 3 separate demand drafts (for each of the above 3 charges) in favour of ” VFS Global Services Pvt. Ltd.”, Payable at Chennai.
3) Upon submission of the application along with the fee, VFS will issue a receipt along with a submission form. Keep this safe for future reference. Here is what it looks like.
Step 4: Visa Approval
1) The processing time for the visa is 3 days.
2) You should receive your passport with the visa stamp on it within a week.
3) The validity of the visa in this category (Temporary Visitor Visa for Sight Seeing without Guarantor) is 90 days.
4) The maximum permitted period of stay is 15 days from date of entry.
5) Here is what the Japanese visa looks like:
Now that you have your Japan Tourist Visa in hand, Its time to go travel 🙂