Vietnam Visa on Arrival: Step-by-step Process
Step by Step Procedure for obtaining a Vietnam tourist visa on arrival for Indian Tourists
- USD 25
(approx. Rs. 1,700)
Letter of Approval
- USD 10
(approx. Rs. 700)
- 30 days from date of Travel
(for Single Entry)
- Letter of Approval
- Passport Size Photo (2 nos – 4 x 6 cm)
Vietnam Tourist Visa on Arrival: An Introduction
- Although Vietnam provides Visa on Arrival for Indians, to avail this facility, it is mandatory to get an Approval Letter from the Vietnamese Government before arriving in Vietnam.
- The Approval letter should be obtained online through a Travel Agent approved by the Vietnamese Government.
- Please be aware that you will not be allowed to board your flight to Vietnam unless you present the Approval Letter during Check-in and Immigration.
- Hence, technically speaking, this is not a Visa on Arrival, but an E-Visa + Visa on Arrival combination.
- Please also be aware that the Visa on Arrival facility is available only while entering Vietnam via Air.
- In case you plan to do a land crossing from a different country (e.g. Laos or Cambodia), you need to get a visa before hand through the Vietnamese Embassy.
- The good news is that the Visa on Arrival process is fairly easy and can be done in a very short time without too much documentation.
- You may please note that the total Visa Fee is USD 35 (Approval Letter + Visa on Arrival).
- The Visa is available for up to 90 days and for both SIngle Entry and Multiple Entry.
- However we are focusing on the 30 Day Single Entry Visa here. Step by step process below.
Step 1: Obtain Letter of Approval
- The approval letter should be obtained online through an an authorized Vietnamese agent.
- The agent will charge you around 10 USD per passenger for the Letter
- Below is a list of approved agents with links to their website.
- Go to the agent’s website, enter the details and make the payment.
- You will receive the approval letter via email, within 2 working days.
- Take a printout of this letter and carry it with you.
- You will have to present this Approval Letter at the Airport Check-in and Immigration before boarding your flight to Vietnam.
- You will also need to present this once you land in Vietnam.
- Here is what the Approval Letter looks like.
Step 2: Documentation Required on Arrival at Airport in Vietnam
- Filled up VOA Form: The VOA form is available at the Airport in Vietnam.
- Arrival Card: This is available at the Airport
- Copy of the Letter of approval – Print of the copy you received from the agent via email
- Passport with 6 months validity and at least 2 blank pages
- Passport size photo: 2 nos, 4 x 6 cm.
- Visa Stamping Fee of 25 USD per person in cash (to be paid at the Airport). Credit cards are not accepted.
You can download the VOA form here and fill it up in advance so that you do not waste time at the airport. There is an option for getting your passport size photo at the Airport for about 2-5 USD (depending on the Airport).
Step 3: Submission and Approval
- Submit the VOA form along with the passport and Letter of Approval
- Once your documents are scrutinized and your visa is approved, your name will be called out by the immigration officer.
- Your Visa will be stamped on the passport.
- The waiting time for getting your visa will depend on the rush at the Airport.
- Once you get your passport back (with the Visa stamped on it), clear immigration, and enter Vietnam.
Are you looking for an E-Visa Instead? Click here for the detailed procedure for obtaining it.
Confused between E-Visa and Visa on Arrival? Click here for a comparison of both to help you choose the right Visa